Nutrition

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The High Road No More!!!

Combining Strength Training, High Intensity Intervals and Competition is a bad idea. 

I consider myself an "In the Trenches" kind of Teacher, Strength Coach and Trainer.  Old School blended with the New School.  I'm passionate about my field and I want to do whatever it takes to get and keep my students, athletes and clients healthy.  This is a daily challenge with all the crap that is out there and all the uneducated people that went to a weekend certification that now think they are qualified to train others.  In my opinion they have just enough knowledge to be extremely dangerous. 

I love Total Body Strength Training!  I Love Plyometric Training!  I Love Lifting Heavy!  I Love Olympic Lifting!  I love to Clean, Snatch, Swing, Squat, Jump, Sprint, Deadlift, Bench Press and perform a lot of other traditional weight lifting exercises.  I also love to Interval Training!  One of the best ways, if not the best way, to get people fit is to Interval Train.  However...

What I DISLIKE is combining the above!  Combining Olympic Lifting and Heavy Strength Training into Intervals is a recipe for disaster.  That's why I'm not a fan of many of the current training philosophies(Crossfit, Rushfit, P90X, etc.) that are out there today.  Now, combine that into a competition, with a bunch of Type A Personalities and tell me what you think you're going to get?  The Uneducated person would give me some meathead response like: "Dude, That was so Bad Ass" "I totally puked all over, but I did it".  The educated person would realize that the combinations are out of place and ask clarifying questions.  Maybe even walk away because their "Risk vs Reward Alarm" went off. 

My job as a Teacher, Trainer and Strength Coach is to educate the people that I come into contact with and make sure they have the information they need to make an educated decision.  At MVP we have an approach that progresses people in a safe and systematic manner that will ensure that they won't get injured.  As I mentioned, Combining Strength Training, High Intensity Intervals and Competition is a bad idea.  If you ask, I'll tell you that Crossfit, P90X, Insanity, Rushfit and many other programs are a bad idea.  And the above reasons are why.

Baum


No comments:

Post a Comment