Nutrition

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Progressive and Steady Always Wins The Race

The majority of individuals that I work with on a day to day basis are student-athletes, ages 14-22. At MVP, I also have general fitness clients that range in ages from 25-65 years of age.  The blend has given me a perspective over the years and a direction to progress.  I have become a firm believer that I need to program exercises that my students and clients need and then give them some of the ones that they want.  The FMS guides me in this prescription.  Does your current trainer do that?

I think most exercise programs out today don't meet the needs of the participant.  Just take a look at any current magazine or TV channels and every time you look there is another extreme exercise program that is going to revolutionize fitness.  How many can you name?  One exercise program claims that a client "dropped 30 pounds, lost 5 inches from his waist, developed great-looking abs, and get into fantastic shape."  And in just 3 months or less.  But was he able to sustain it?  In many cases, the short duration, high intensity exercise and nutrition programs are not sustainable.

Another issue that I see constantly is that most programs are anterior dominated.  Too many pushes and knee dominant exercises and not enough posterior chain exercises.  In some cases, when talking with individuals their programs were 4 to 1 anterior to posterior chain exercises.  That's crazy!

At MVP, we work with a mix of ages, abilities and goals. Our number one job is to get you, our client, to move better.  If we can do that then we can assure you that you will attain your goal in a safe and timely manner.  Remember the story The tortoise  and the Hare?  Slow and steady always wins the race.  Or if I can put my spin on it, Progressive and Steady Always Wins the race. 

At MVP, we'll make sure you progress in a safe manner and attain your goals at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment